Sunday, December 23, 2012

Aftermath

So it's 3 days post surgery and I'm feeling much better. My first day/night home was horrible. I was doing awesome in the hospital. I was getting up and walking the halls, I was "eating" and keeping it down, and I wasn't having any negative side effects from the surgery....then the car ride home came. It was 2 hours of pure pain. I felt every bump, every brake, every THING! Once we got home, I was nauseous and just wanted to lay down. I slept for a little bit then woke up and tried to eat. I had a few sips of Slim Fast and it tasted real good. My stomach stopped hurting and I thought "This is going to be a breeze", but I spoke too soon. My body decided that it didn't like it and it came right back up. I waited a few more hours and tried some chicken broth. It stayed down until I tried to take my pain meds, then it too came right back up. At around 10pm, I tried two sips of water which instantly made me vomit. I was in pain and I couldn't do anything about it. We called the On Duty Nurse and all she told me was go to the ER. So once in the ER, I got to sit in pain while trying to not vomit. They took my temperature then had me sit back in the waiting room. Then they called me back and took my blood and again, back to the waiting room. Once I finally was taken to a gurney, I put on a gown and got to wait some more. All the while I haven't had any pain meds since before 11am. I'm in tears and we can hear the doctors outside the curtain saying they have no idea what to do with someone who's had bariatric surgery and they may just send us back up north. One of the doctors finally asks who did the surgery and contacts the surgeon. He instructs him to hook me up to an IV, pump fluids in me and give me pain meds. The instant they inject me with the pain meds, I'm doubled over the big, orange bowl dry heaving and shaking. I can't talk and tears are streaming down my face. I finally finish and as I lay back, they give me the nausea meds. I'm given 3 bags of fluids and end up staying until 6am. I'm home now and have finally showered and washed my hair. I'm not doing a lot of moving and I can't hold or carry Emmett so I'm mostly laying and sleeping or sipping on water or tea. I did get to feed Emmett some jar food today and he was happy to be with his mommy, but I was soon tired and napped for a good two hours afterwards. Stay tuned for more exciting updates............

No comments:

Post a Comment